Alaska Contractor License Classifications

Alaska Contractor License Classifications

All the people who want to work as a contractor, builder or handyman in Alaska, should get an Alaska Contractor License. Before obtaining a license, you should define what type of license you need.

Alaska usually offers three types of contractor licenses: General Contractors, Specialty and Mechanical Contractors.

General Contractors

General contractors may perform new home construction, commercial work, and residential remodel work. General Contractors License is divided into three types depending on their project’s cost.

  • Contractors who work on or build a residential structure, with a cost more than 25% of the structure’s worth must get a Residential Endorsement License. The license is granted to individuals with a 16-hour cold climate course certificate and residential contractor endorsement exam results.
  • If the project costs less than 25% of the structure’s worth, the contractor gets a General Contractor Without Residential Contractor Endorsement license.
  • If the work done by the contractor costs up to $10,000.00, only a General Contractor Handyman license is required.

Specialty Contractor

A specialty contractor is one whose primary contracting business involves the use of building trades or crafts and whose services include the work requiring specific skills.

The specialty contractor license is granted only to people with the following professions;

  • Access Flooring Contractor
  • Acoustical and Insulation Contractor
  • Asbestos Abatement Contractor
  • Carpentry Contractor, Finish
  • Carpentry Contractor, Rough
  • Communications Contractor
  • Concrete and Paving Contractor
  • Demolition Contractor
  • Drilling Contractor
  • Drywall Contractor
  • Electrical Contractor
  • Elevator and Conveying System Contractor
  • Excavation Contractor
  • Fence & Guardrail Contractor
  • Floor Covering Contractor
  • Glazing Contractor
  • Landscaping Contractor
  • Liquid or Gas Storage Tank Contractor
  • Low Voltage Alarm or Signaling Device Contractor
  • Marine Contractor
  • Masonry Contractor
  • Mechanical Contractor, Exempt
  • Painting Contractor
  • Plaster Contractor
  • Road Construction Contractor
  • Roofing Contractor
  • Security Systems Contractor
  • Sheet Metal Contractor
  • Sign Contractor
  • Solid Fuel Appliance Contractor
  • Steel Erection Contractor
  • Tile and Terrazzo Contractor
  • Wallcovering Contractor
  • Water and Sewer Contractor
  • Water System Contractor
  • Welding Contractor
  • Other Specialty Contractors

Mechanical contractors

Mechanical contractors may only perform mechanical work (heating or cooling systems, refrigeration, piping, and plumbing of a building). Installation requires an additional electrical administrator’s license.

Mechanical contractors classification

  1. HCPP: Heating, Cooling, and Process Piping
  2. CNTL: Mechanical Systems Temperature Control
  3. RHVC: Residential HVAC
  4. RPHH: Residential Plumbing and Hydronic Heating
  5. UCIP: Unlimited Commercial and Industrial Plumbing
  6. UHVCS: Unlimited HVAC/Sheet Metal
  7. UR: Unlimited Refrigeration
  8. CC: Construction Contractors

What requirements should I meet to obtain a contractor license in Alaska?

Generally, all contractors undergo the same application procedures. The Alaska Construction Contractors License Application includes the following requirements:

  • Complete signed and notarized application.
  • A surety bond (differs depending on license type)
  • Liability insurance
  • Employee compensation (self-employment available)
  • A fee of $300 dollar
  • 16-hour cold climate training course (only for General Contractors with Residential Endorsements)
  • Residential contractors endorsement exam (only for General Contractors with Residential Endorsements)

How much should I pay to obtain my contractor’s license?

If you want to work in the construction business, you’ll need to pay for a license and registration. The amount you’ll have to pay depends on what sort of construction contractor you are and how much you are allowed to earn. Below you can find detailed information about fees during all the processes

  • Nonrefundable Construction Contractor Registration Application fee — $65.00
  • Construction Contractor License fee — $235.00
  • Nonrefundable Residential Endorsement Application fee — $65.00
  • Residential Endorsement Registration fee — $235.00
  • PSI Residential Exam (For Licensee with Res. Endorsement only) — $150.00
  • ACHP certificate (For Licensee with Res. Endorsement only) — $20.00
  • Alaska Business License (if you don’t already have one) — $200.00
  • Bonds — $200.00 – $3000.00
  • An additional contractors license for workers of the Municipality of Anchorage — $360.00

Can I renew my contractor license in Alaska?

Yes. To renew a Residential Contractor Endorsement, you must complete 16 hours of continuing education. You do not need to complete continuing education if you have been licensed for less than a year. If you’re renewing your license for the first time, you just need to complete 8 hours of authorized continuing education.

My License allows you to renew your license online. If you haven’t already created an account, sign in and then go to the Professional Licenses platform to choose the license number you want to renew. This will take you to a website with information about your license. To access the online renewal application, click the “Renew License” button.

Note: If you have several professional licenses that need to be renewed, each one requires a separate online submission.

Renewal Fee: To renew their license for the following two-year renewal cycle, all licensees must pay $250.

What exams should I take to get a contractor license in Alaska?

Currently, you are only required to take an exam if you want to get a General Contractor With Residential Contractor Endorsement license. You’ll need to enroll in the Alaska Craftsman Home Program or a program similar to it. The fee for this is $20, and you must complete it within two years of the application’s submission date.

Before you can apply for the license, you must first take and pass the PSI Alaska Residential Contractor Endorsement Exam, which is 4 hours long and consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. The exam is a closed-book exam. To pass, you’ll need a 70 percent score.
This course is available online for $150. You have 12 months after passing the exam to apply for the residential endorsement.

How long is my contractor license valid in Alaska?

Your contractor license will be valid for a period of two years. General contractor licenses expire on December 31st of even years, whereas mechanical and specialized contractor licenses expire on December 31st of odd-numbered years.

Should I have a business license to apply for a contractor license?

Yes. The first step you are supposed to take is to register your company online. The procedure is straightforward. You’ll need to give the following information:

  • Information about your company
  • A NAICS code (an abbreviation for North American Industry Class)
  • A $50 filing fee for a one-year license

Note: Before applying for an Alaska contractors license, you can license your firm online at any time.

After obtaining your business license you should define what type of contractor license you need and depending on it follow the requirements.

Amalik B

Amalik B

Amalik is a junior content writer. She has graduated from YSU as a pedagogy philologist of the French language. During a year of her experience as a content writer, Amalik has written content for several websites and took part in some social media campaigns. Since 2017, she has been a volunteer in PAVU being an interpreter in various events. Nowadays she is also volunteering in Children of Regions, and in the frames of some projects teaches English and French.